Spring cleaning is a hassle, especially if you aren’t a “Holly Housekeeper” type of person. The good news is you don’t have to love cleaning to take advantage of these top 7 spring cleaning hacks to help your seasonal chores go fast.
1. Hack: Knock out showerhead grime with vinegar – Grimy showerheads can be impossible to get clean with all the tiny holes. Knock this task out by filling a quart size storage bag with enough white distilled vinegar to completely submerge the showerhead. Tie it on tight and leave it overnight. The next day, simply rinse and wipe any leftover grime away. The vinegar does all the work for you.
2. Hack: Use your bathtub for scrubbing – Cleaning some things in your home one by one can take forever. Things like dusty vent covers, dirty window blinds, grimy oven racks and dirty toys are much easier to clean if you take them all down or off at one time and scrub them all in the tub. When you’re done, clean the tub down with a solution of vinegar and a little bit of dish soap to disinfect and ready your tub for regular use.
3. Hack: Use flip flops to sweep up pet hair – Pet hair does a great job of sticking to rubber. Wear a pair of rubber-soled flip flops to use your feet to sweep up stubborn pet hair from rugs, tile and wood floors. Use a pair of rubber gloves to tackle the pet hair on your sofa and other furniture. Just remove the hair when it begins to collect so you can keep collecting fur for the trash. Wear rubber flip flops around the house regularly and avoid pet hair build up in the first place.
4. Hack: Steam the microwave – Got a dirty, grimy microwave? No problem. Put water, lemon and white vinegar in a bowl and heat in the microwave until it has a good rolling boil. Let the microwave sit closed for a minute or two to let the steam work. Then use a rag dampened with warm water to wipe away the built-up gunk easily.
5. Hack: Dust ceilings and fans with a paint roller – If you have very high ceilings that traditional cleaning wands don’t reach, just grab that extended handle paint roller from the garage. Attach your duster to the roller end or you can even just use a fresh clean paint roller cover. This makes quick work of reaching high areas like ceiling fans, tops of bookshelves, tops of door frames and high walls or ceilings without climbing ladders.
6. Hack: Wash pillows with vinegar and baking soda – Remove tough odors, freshen and clean pillows by tossing them in the washer with vinegar and baking soda, instead of detergent. The vinegar and baking soda mixture cleans tough odors better than almost anything else.
7. Hack: Hire someone – Perhaps the best spring cleaning hack of all is to hire someone else to do it. Avoid the hassle and get a deeper, more thorough clean by hiring a cleaning service for a deep clean of your home. Get the sparkling fresh clean without the effort, time and hassle!
These top 7 spring cleaning hacks are great if you plan to DIY your spring cleaning checklist. If you don’t have the time or energy for spring cleaning (and really, who does these days?) then hack number 7 is the one you need. When you are ready for your seasonal deep clean, call The Clean Up Club and we’ll help you clean it up!