Summer is not the time to slack off on cleaning. In fact, the high humidity and hot temperatures make a regular cleaning routine even more important during the hot summer months. Check out these top 6 summer cleaning tips to breeze through your summer with a cleaner house.
1. Clean ceiling fans – Dusty ceiling fans can irritate asthma and allergy symptoms, especially during the hot summer. Clean the fan blades weekly to prevent spreading dust and dirt. Also, turn your fan to rotate counterclockwise to push cool air down to keep you more comfortable.
2. Clean the fridge – One of the best parts of summer is all of the fresh produce from farmer’s markets and even your own garden. The last thing you want to do is contaminate that fresh produce with bacteria like salmonella! In hot climates, bacteria grow faster–even in the fridge. Clean down the fridge weekly with an antibacterial soap and always throw away old, expired or moldy food right away.
3. Clean counters and sweep floors daily – Warm and humid weather is perfect for bugs. We know you don’t want bugs in your house. Prevent luring bugs in by cleaning down countertops and sweeping up any food and crumbs every night. You’ll have a clean kitchen and keep bugs at bay.
4. Clean the drain/garbage disposal – In the summer months, food rots quickly–including in your drain or garbage disposal. Avoid the sink stench by running your garbage disposal with cool water nightly to clear out any food particles. Then, two to three times per week, pour some baking soda followed by white vinegar into the drain. Wait for five minutes and then pour boiling water down the drain to wash away germs and food matter. Keeping your drain clean also helps prevent gnats.
5. Wash the windows – If the windows haven’t been cleaned in a while, use warm soapy water and a sponge to clean windows instead of window cleaner. Mold and mildew can collect in window corners due to condensation from the inside coolness and the humid hotness outside the window. Plus, clean windows let the sunshine in!
6. Clean window screens – The humidity of summer and the condensation mentioned in the previous point can also cause mold to grow on your window screens. When you open your windows, mold spores can blow into your house from the screen. Yuck! Use hot soapy water and a course sponge to clean window screens of dirt and mold.
These top 6 summer cleaning tips help you keep a cleaner house without much effort by preventing bugs, dust and mold growth. These tips also help your house smell better by preventing sink stench and getting rid of old, smelly food regularly. When you need a deep clean or just don’t have the time, call The Clean Up Club and we’ll help you clean it up!