There are a number of cleaning tasks many of us overlook or simply don’t pay attention to. Now that it’s coming time for spring cleaning, make sure you have these top 10 most neglected cleaning tasks on your list.
1. Dust doors and door frames – This is a very overlooked cleaning task but dust builds up on doors and door frames just like it builds up on furniture. A damp microfiber cloth should make quick work of dusting your doors and door frames.
2. Vacuum lampshades – Lampshades are a magnet for dust and should be vacuumed with the dusting vacuum attachment. Follow up with a lint roller to capture anything the vacuum left behind.
3. Clean shower curtains and liners – Most fabric shower curtains can be laundered. For shower curtain liners, clean with a mixture of warm water and white vinegar. If the liner has mold or mildew build up, it’s best to replace the liner instead of trying to clean it.
4. Disinfect base of toilets – While seats, lids and bowls are cleaned frequently, many people overlook the base or pedestal of the toilet. This is often teeming with fecal germs and a hospitable place for mold to grow. Also it can be covered with dust and urine. Yuck!
5. Vacuum cabinets and drawers – Dust, dirt, hair, crumbs and other debris can build up in cabinets and drawers. Empty everything out (a good opportunity to get rid of things you no longer need) and vacuum out cabinets and drawers. Follow up with a damp rag and let dry before replacing items.
6. Wash the washing machine – Your washing machine isn’t self cleaning. Germs from clothes can build up in your machine and soil new loads with nasty germs. Run an empty cycle on hot and add white vinegar to disinfect and freshen your machine. Don’t forget to wipe out rubber folds along the doors as mold can grow there easily.
7. Clean curtains – When is the last time you cleaned your curtains? If you’re like most people, it’s been a while. If they can be laundered, wash them or vacuum if they are dry clean only (dry cleaning releases fumes that negatively impact air quality) to remove built up dust, pet hair and pet dander.
8. Clean behind the TV – Many people are great about cleaning the front and sides of the TV but not so many clean the back and behind the TV. Dust, dirt, hair, pet hair and other debris can build up behind your TV and can hinder it from working properly.
9. Clean showerhead and hoses – Clean showerhead by soaking in a solution of warm water and white vinegar. Use a similar solution to clean the hose, checking the braiding of the hose carefully for mold as you go.
10. Vacuum and mop under major appliances – If you’re like most people, you don’t often or never clean under and behind your major appliances. Dust, dirt, hair and other debris can collect under and behind your stove, refrigerator and other appliances. Pull them out and vacuum underneath and behind (don’t forget the refrigerator coils) and follow up by mopping with a warm water and vinegar solution. Let dry before you push them back into place.
How many of these top 10 most neglected cleaning tasks have you been neglecting? Most people would say most or all of them. That’s okay, now that you are aware of them, you can put them on your to-do list. Too much cleaning on your plate? Call The Clean Up Club and we’ll help you clean it up!