There are special items and areas that need cleaning and attention in the summer or more frequent cleaning and attention. Here’s how to tackle those summertime cleaning chores quickly and easily.
1. Gas grill grates – It’s important to clean your gas grill grates after every meal you cook to avoid cross-contamination between meals. For a quick and gentle clean, warm up the grill to get the grates hot and use a long handled fork to pierce a half lemon. Dip the lemon in salt and then use the salted lemon to quickly and easily clean the grates. For more stuck on grime, use a pumice stone made for grills. Avoid wire brushes as they can shed metal bristles that can end up in your food.
2. Outdoor spaces – You spend a lot more time in your outdoor spaces in the summer. Here’s a simple tip to keep them spruced up all summer long. Stash inexpensive brooms near porches, decks and patios. Use the brooms to clean away cobwebs or dirt from screens, ceilings, railings, mailboxes and window boxes. Use the brooms to regularly sweep away floor debris and dirt deposited by wind, rain and foot traffic.
3. Patio furniture – To clean patio furniture, start by giving it a thorough spray down with a hose equipped with a spray nozzle. Next, create a cleaning solution with 1/2 cup bleach and a gallon of water. Use a large sponge to clean the furniture with the bleach solution and leave wet for about 5 minutes. After that, simply spray away the bleach solution with the hose and let air dry. Note: It’s best to do this away from plants/gardens as the bleach run-off could harm the plants.
4. HVAC – Your HVAC is going to do a lot of work for you during the summer. Clean it up with a regular service appointment and these cleaning steps. Vacuum the air intakes, vents and registers to clear them of dust, pet hair and debris. If you have a reusable filter, clean it with hydrogen peroxide, rinse clean and let air dry before you put it back in. Otherwise, replace your filter monthly during the warmer months to keep clean and cool air moving throughout your house.
5. Bathroom – Bathrooms are already prone to mold and mildew and in our humid climate, summer can make the battle against mold even worse. Stay on top of mold with eraser sponges for stuck on gunk or vinegar and microfiber cloths for less stubborn grime. Hang wet towels, damp bath mats and other damp or wet items outside in the sun to dry instead of the bathroom.
6. Garage – Keep the garage tidy by decluttering and giving away old tools and items you no longer use. Install a pegboard on one wall to hang items like rakes and brooms to keep them up out of the way. You can also use the pegboard to hang up recreational items like boogie boards and yard games.
Summertime means fun in the sun but it also means you’ll be using items or spaces differently than you do the rest of the year. Keep them sparkling and clean with these helpful tips and tricks for a clean and fun summer!